Sunday, January 20, 2008

Thoughts regarding the appraching school term...

Okay, so I’ve been working on a new entry for a couple weeks now. It hasn’t been lack of material that has prevented me from writing. I’m just a busy, important fellow with a daunting semester starting early Tuesday morning. On top of that, I’ve been working full time, and cleaning my apartment constantly.

Writing isn’t the only thing that has suffered at the expense of the increasing burdens on my time. I haven’t been to the gym in a while, and the exercises I do at home I’ve been slacking on because last time I thought to do them, I was too full of pasta to bend that far. I mean, I still unicycle four miles every day, but that’s just not doing it for me.

Now, looking at a 16 credit semester and 23 hours of pharmacy a week, things do not look good for Unicycle Max. I’m going to have to cut some hours at work so I can train, but I have a feeling I’m going to end up using training time to catch up on reading, or spend more time with Courtney. I’ll have to write it into my schedule, and hold to it, like someone with actual athletic discipline.

If I cut my pharmacy hours, then I’m going to be cash poor for… well, forever. I need money to fix my car (which will zero out my checking account once again), for rent, for phone, for food, and to replace a couple unicycles. My 24” Torker Unistar CX modified all-terrain unicycle was stolen from outside Rite Aid while I was working a couple weeks ago. It wasn’t locked up or anything, because I live in semi-rural Maine, and I figure the only person within thirty miles it would have any value to is me.

I guess if any of my unicycles were to be stolen, that would be the one. What I mean is, it would be the cheapest to replace. It’s a cheap unicycle, but after I’d reported it to the police, I got to thinking. The pedals, tire, and saddle cost me $70. The other thing is, of course, sentimental value. I learned how to ride on that unicycle. So did my brother. I’ve had it for five and a half years, my dad gave it to me for my birthday. I put a lot of time, money, blood, sweat, tears, and miles into that little Torker.

So, I reported it to the police, like I said, and they came by to talk to me about it. I knew it wasn’t too likely that they would find it, or even put much effort into it. The sergeant told me, “If we see anyone unicycling who isn’t you, I guess, we’ll stop them and ask them some questions.” Then he added, “Well, there is that one girl who rides, as well.”

At that moment, Rosie knocked on my door, her Torker LX 20” schlepped over her shoulder. When I opened it, the sergeant pointed at her, and shouted, “There she is!” which I immediately followed by demanding, “Did you steal my unicycle?!” I’m amazed she didn’t turn and run.

I suggested to her the idea of holding a unicycle jousting tournament when the snow melts to raise money to replace the unicycle. Not as ourselves, of course, but as war-like alter-egos who live by the wheel and by the lance. I would be Prince Vincent Von Fabian III of Moldova, wearing Roman Centurion armor, for some reason. I believe she said she would be someone named Eilas, pronounced and perhaps even spelled Eyeless, wearing samurai armor made largely of plastic buttons. I figured if we did it between the student center and Roberts hall, we could get some foot traffic. Then again, there’s not a whole lot of room there, especially if we use my seven-foot lances. We could put an eye out. Then again, she is eyeless….
Anyway, We’ll pick a location later.

I also have to replace my training unicycle. I have a 25 year old Miyata that I got at a yard sale. The seat post is only 200mm tops, which is way too short for me, so I use it to teach people to ride. But, she’s old, and a quarter century of abuse has kind of gotten to her. You can’t get parts on this continent, so I’m thinking I’ll just retire her. UDC is still holding their blowout sale, so I think I’ll just pick up a Sun, or something cheap like that.

But, financially, if I’m getting my car fixed, and paying my bills, and eating, there isn’t much room for unicycle. I still need to get my Coker in tip-top shape. For that, I need a bearing and handlebars, at very least, and I’d like to paint it and put on a new tire. That’s not urgent, though, I guess. Not that replacing my 24” is either. But my trainer wants to learn how to ride, which is essentially how I’m paying for her services. I’ll call UDC tomorrow or Tuesday to find out how much longer the blowout sale is going on, and also try and find out about their big secret they’ve been hiding from my teammate for a month now.

I bid on eBay for Amanda Gallacher’s KH muni. It’s a little more than I’d like to spend right now, but it’s a great unicycle, she seems to need the money, and I may have a bit of a crush on her. Well, I wouldn’t go that far. I’d like to get to know her. If I can pick that thing up this cheap, I’ll be good to go for Moab Munifest 2009.

Despite sloth (my own), greed (the Farmington uni-theif), and perhaps a bit lust (I am in college, after all), I’m hanging in there. This semester is going to be a kick in the junk, though. I don’t drink caffeine, but I may have to start, or start doing cocaine, or meth, or something so I don’t have to sleep. I just don’t know where else I can sacrifice the time.

Sweet dreams, everyone

1 comment:

Kyle D said...

Hey if you're looking to fix up that Miyata, unicycle.com has the replacement seat cover on sale for 5-dollah. They got the bumpers on sale too.